Thursday, January 9, 2014

Happy Hour Kickoff: The start of a science blog

So, I decided to start my own blog. I have toyed with the idea to start a science blog for a long time now, and I finally ran out of reasons not to pull the (figurative) trigger. My long-time goal is to save the planet and humankind, while I'm at it (see: About Me). This eagerness makes me prone to enthusiastically sharing my knowledge about everything related to climate change and energy on the internet. Instead of getting into awkward Facebook arguments, I thought sharing my scientific knowledge with people on a blog would be a better use of time.



My goal for this blog is to encourage people to learn about science issues that are particularly important using scientific facts. The media seemingly does a poor job of getting scientific information to the masses. This won't only be limited to energy and the environment; there are many interesting and scientific issues in the world today. Of particular interest to me, other than climate change issues are: health, nutrition, sports science, and technology advancements. Science is everywhere!  Bigger goal: HAVE FUN.

I am aiming to post once per week at minimum on a "trending" current event relating to science. Every graduate student needs a creative hobby (amiright, other grad students out there?). As a side benefit, I am hoping to improve my science communication skills, so please - tell me how to be better (just don't be too mean please).

Why should you keep reading my blog? Well, assuming you are interested in the issues that affect the planet, you should follow this to become more aware of the science and technology advancements of particular importance to policymakers, which you don't hear about on your typical media outlets.

I won't try to shove my opinion down your throat, but I will summarize scientific evidence (that may lean one direction) on issues that are being debated. I'm not here to tell you to stop using anything made of plastic and that you should only shower once a month to conserve water. I am here to give you solid scientific facts.

So, there you have it. If you are interested in learning more background behind the political bickering, please subscribe, share, comment, criticize, tell me how ignorant I am, etc.



Thanks for reading! Cheers to your brain!


Like my Facebook page to stay up to date on weekly blog posts and other science findings!

2 comments:

  1. Cheers to you! This seems a very worthwhile endeavor. The planet certainly can use your help. Maybe you'll inspire me to start a blog of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I would read and share your blog!

      Delete